Mushroom Adobo With Steamed Greens & Brown Rice
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
This is a vegan version of my childhood favourite, adobo. It’s a Filipino dish that’s savoury and delicious. Using oyster mushroom instead of chicken or pork, it’s the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 5 cloves crushed
- 2 cups sliced oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ¾ cup tamari
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 4 cups filtered water (1000 ml or 33.8 fl oz)
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 bunch bok choy washed and ends cut off
- Prepare equipment. You’ll need a stove, a large pot, wooden spoon, knife & chopping board.
- Prepare ingredients: You’ll need coconut oil, garlic, broccoli. mushrooms, peas, tamari, ACV, coconut sugar, bay leaves, peppercorns, brown rice, bok choy & filtered water.
- Prepare all the veggies.
- Heat coconut oil in the pan on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add mushrooms, peppercorns and bay leaves. Stir until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients except for bok choy and bring to a rapid simmer. Cover and allow to cook for 20 minutes
- Lift up lid, add bok choy and allow to steam inside pot for 5 minutes.
- Divide into bowls to and top with fresh parsley to serve.
For a step-by-step visual guide please see gallery below.
Need ingredients? Visit our friends at Wholefoodshouse